The following resources are from my presentation at the 2019 Web Accessibility Summit in Springfield, Missouri.
Download a screen reader
- List of available screen readers from the American Foundation for the Blind
- For Windows: NVDA
- Free Open-source screen reader. Only works with Microsoft Windows.
- Works well with Firefox. Can be installed as a portable app on a thumb drive.
- For Mac: VoiceOver
- Chromevox (Google Chrome extension)
- The difference between keyboard and screen reader navigation
- Accessibility considerations when building single page applications
- Léonie Watson on why semantic HTML document landmarks assist her using a screenreader
- Screen Reader Basics: Mac VoiceOver — A11ycasts
For a complete list of resources, check out the WPCampus accessibility resources.